Quick access jump navigation

All Opportunities

This opportunity has now expired

SynchroniCity Open Call: €3 million for SMEs, cities and large businesses

SynchroniCity is a European project funded under the Horizon 2020 Framework Programme for Research and Innovation (2014-2020). It is one of the IoT European Large-Scale Pilot Projects currently operating.

SynchroniCity is the first attempt to deliver a single digital city market in Europe by piloting its foundations in 11 cities, 8 EU cities and 3 international cities. The project is built with the vision that creating a simplified, open and agile market across borders will help deliver better services to cities and communities, in a way that supports local economic development, while still leveraging global digital and economic dynamics.

By taking an inclusive approach, SynchroniCity will invite businesses and cities to join through an Open Call, helping businesses of all sizes to transparently compete and easily scale their products and solutions through standards-based procurement and innovation. Future Cities Catapult in collaboration with Aarhus University, and alongside 36 partners from 13 countries, are working to deliver the SynchroniCity Open Call.

Key Dates

Open Call launched on 1 June 2018

Open Call will close on 30 September 2018

Aim of the Open Call

Validate the SynchroniCity vision and technical framework as a model for large-scale standards-based innovation and procurement and demonstrate that it enables the replicability, scalability and sustainability of human-centered IoT-enabled solutions across cities.

Who is it for?

  • IoT enabled SMEs that can provide an IoT data-enabled application or full-stack solution. The application/ solution must have already been demonstrated in a relevant environment (TRL ≥ 6). SMEs can apply alone or in a Pilot Group.
  • Cities. Cities can only apply in a Pilot Group with at least an SME Lead Applicant.
  • Large corporates. Large corporates can only apply in a Pilot Group with at least an SME Lead Applicant.

Scope (Themes and Challenges)

Funding

Total budget of €3M in funding.

Each application can be funded with: up to €100,000  if an SME applies alone; up to €200,000 for Pilot Groups of 2 organisations; up to €300,000  for Pilot Groups of 3 organisations or more.

Synchronicity open call will co-fund 80% of the total budget of each project. The remaining 20% will need to be provided by applicants either as in-kind support or by bringing in funding to the project.

Note that SMEs, cities and large corporate departments that are not from the EU or H2020 associated countries are welcome to apply but will not be eligible for funding.

Open Call Pilot Cities

Your solution will need to be piloted in at least 2 cities. This must include at least a Core Pilot City:

  • Antwerp
  • Carouge
  • Eindhoven
  • Helsinki
  • Manchester
  • Milano
  • Porto
  • Santander

It may include also New Cities that you introduce in your Pilot Group.

Duration of pilot

Maximum 6 months (between February and September 2019)

Apply

Open call requirements, eligibility criteria, guidelines and terms and conditions are now available on SynchroniCity website.

Click here to apply

If you have any question about Synchronicity Open Call then please contact the help desk.

Sign up for the latest news and updates