What will you be doing?
An experienced and qualified lawyer that provides all business and legal affairs support required by the Connected Places Catapult (CPC). The most senior legal and compliance advisor to the CEO, CFO and Corporate Management Team (CMT); delivering first hand, first class business and legal affairs support on matters of key strategic, financial and reputational importance to the business.
- Lead and develop the Commercial and Legal team, ensuring delivery of a professional and consistent service for procurement, contracting, commercial, legal, compliance and governance activities across all office locations
- Deliver timely and high quality legal advice to the business in a practical and commercially focussed way in relation to all relevant matters that reduce risk, resolve issues and maximise the opportunity for CPC to deliver its strategy
- Embed and ensure compliance with all policies, procedures and relevant legislation and regulations
- Provide professional advice/papers on strategic and other legal and commercial issues to CMT, Audit Committee and the Board, attending meetings as and when required
- Draft, negotiate and manage a wide range of contracts from collaborative CR&D agreements to commercial contracts
- Be a trusted senior advisor to the CFO and CEO, including supporting the board to resolve legal issues that face the business from time to time
- Act as Company Secretary and Data Protection Manager
- Engage and collaborate with the business to build credibility and trust, whilst providing commercial advice that addresses legal implications and compliance issues before and during bids and proposals or other decision making
- Identify and, where appropriate, protect the Company’s intellectual property
- Procure and manage external counsel and other advisors as required by the business
Skills & Experience
- A qualified solicitor in England & Wales
- Knowledge and understanding of commercial contracts, IP, Research & Development agreements and procurement law
- PQE +5
- Experience of Innovate UK, H2020/FP7 or other EU grant submissions
- Analytical, problem solving and ability to implement effective and creative solutions in a legally compliant manner
- Excellent organisational and record keeping skills
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- Confident and effective provision of advice to stakeholders to enable them to make accurate decisions
- Ability to work autonomously; must show ability and desire to “own a problem” and take responsibility for finding solutions
- Flexibility and ability to react quickly to changing priorities
- Preferably with previous in-house experience of equivalent transferable skills
- Preferably with a mix of both private and public-sector experience
This role will operate across both our main locations, London and Milton Keynes. We are happy to consider applications to be based in either location although the successful candidate will be required to travel to both sites, and will have management responsibilities in both sites.
We will reach out to successful candidates to arrange a suitable time for interview.
Want to Apply?
If you meet the requirements and are keen to join Connected Places Catapult, please apply with your CV and Covering Letter via our application portal
Please note: The Cover Letter is compulsory.www.cp.catapult.org.uk