What will you be doing?You will be working as part of a team of Software Engineers and Data Scientists to bring front-end web expertise to the tools we build in response to place-based challenges. These challenges range from working with local councils to identifying residents in need of support, to working with start-ups trying to grow local economies by supporting businesses on high streets, through to incorporating data and machine learning developed in academia to better plan housing. As part of our multidisciplinary Data Science team, you’ll be helping to shape and build the front-end user experience and data visualisation components of our web-based tools in conjunction with domain experts, and you’ll work with other software engineers to in still best practice into our delivery of these.
Initially, this role will focus on a collaborative Research and Development project on a tool that helps cities and local government bodies support local businesses. You will work with the team to understand the current tool and then work to extend our development of a geospatial analysis frontend that pulls in contextualising data and displays this to users that manage programmes to support businesses. We work with lots of geospatial data, bringing together disparate concepts to solve place-based challenges, so an important part of this work will be looking to software engineering best practise to ensure reusability and extensibility of our codebase. We’re looking for somebody who is motivated by solving real challenges and getting their work into the hands of users, who wants to stay on top of the latest technologies and work with the team to keep us at the cutting edge of tools, approaches and best practise.
- Together with designers, data-engineers and data scientists, you will design, build and test a visually engaging application that communicates complex concepts effectively.
- Liaise with domain specialists and product owners pull in expertise on specific interaction needs to support their integration into the tool.
- Establish and promote development best practices and standards.
- Work in an agile manner to develop prototypes that we can quickly seek feedback on, responding to newly identified priorities and re-scoping to ensure we build on feedback.
- Feed into our development strategy, working towards re-usable assets so we don’t reinvent the wheel on projects.
You will have:
- Experience working in JS frameworks such as Node, you stay on top of the latest front end tools and enjoy exploring the latest innovations.
- Working with restful APIs, and collaborating with full stack engineers to architect these.
- Experience with the translation of designer mock-ups and wireframes into front-end code.
- Knowledge of component driven front-end development (React, Angular, Vue).
- An interest in data visualization, perhaps some D3 experience.
- A portfolio of past projects where you’ve led the front-end development.
- An ability to architect complex front-end web applications and interactive prototypes.
- Used an agile, scrum-based way of working.
- Familiarity with Continuous Integration.
- Knowledge of version control systems and experience using team workflows (Git, github).
- An interest in full stack development, experience collaborating with full-stack and back end web engineers.
- The capacity to work with users and stakeholders to collaboratively develop and present software designs and outcomes.
Role SpecificsWe will be recruiting this role on a rolling basis, reviewing candidates submitted on a weekly basis and may as a result close the role in advance of the closing date.
Interview DatesWe'll be in touch with successful candidates with the next steps relating to this Front End Web Engineer role.
Want to Apply?If you meet the requirements and are keen to join Future Cities Catapult, please apply with your CV and Covering Letter via our application portal.
If you have any questions about the Catapult, or the role, don't hesitate to reach out to us at email@example.com.