What will you be doing?As an Economist, you will lead ex ante and ex post economic impact assessments of urban innovation projects. You will advise the public and private sectors and help them identify relevant metrics that measure desired project outcomes and apply an evidence-based approach to demonstrate a project’s economic impact. You will build a dataset containing actual performance and impacts from our projects. In addition, you will apply the Future Cities Catapult Impact Assessment Framework and other economic principles to evaluate the impact of our organisation on cities and the Advanced Urban Services sector.
- Lead economic impact assessments of urban innovation projects, including digital solutions.
- Reference past studies that show connections between innovative solutions and desired economic outcomes.
- Collaborate with our multidisciplinary team (such as data scientists) to gather evidence and data for our analyses.
- Identify and measure potential economic impact of urban innovation projects and organisations by developing a logic model or theory of change.
- Apply economic principles such as additionality to ensure the rigour and validity of our analyses.
- Communicate findings in reports and presentations.
- Construct a database to gather performance data of urban innovations from our internal projects and external sources.
Skills & Experience
- Degree in Economics or related discipline.
- Relevant or demonstrable experience in a quantitative or analytical role.
- Experience of leading economic impact assessment studies.
- Understanding of UK guidelines and best practices on calculating economic variables such as job creation, fiscal revenue, and value of time.
- Adept at synthesising qualitative and quantitative information into concise reports and actionable recommendations.
- Excellent communication skills – both verbal and written. Ability to explain complex economic concepts.
- Capacity to manage ambiguity in projects and offer pragmatic solutions.
- Demonstrate a can-do and collaborative attitude.
- Experience in at least one of the following areas: urban mobility, integrated urban planning, and healthy cities.
- Knowledge of existing datasets containing economic and city information.
- Ability to compare and discuss different existing approaches to integrate economic, social, and environmental impacts of projects.
Interview DatesCV Screening – 18th August, if successful you will be contacted w/c 21st August
1st Interview – 24th or 25th August, if successful you will be contacted w/c 28th August
2nd Interview – 1st September
Want to Apply?If you meet the requirements and are keen to join Future Cities Catapult, please apply with your CV, Covering Letter and a Portfolio via our application portal. Please ensure all three are saved in one PDF and attached under CV.
Please note: The portfolio is compulsory, either as attachment or a website. We are interested in seeing your process, so feel free to include stages of your projects.