- Competitive depending on experience
- Central London
- Working Hours: Standard full time
- Holiday: 25 days per annum
- Future Cities Catapult is an equal opportunities employer and commitment to this process will be expected.
So what's it about?Future Cities Catapult are seeking a Urban Futures Team Lead who will provide strategic guidance and direction, and will enable and support high quality projects and project deliverables. As team lead, you will lead, inspire and line manage a team of up to six professionals. Harnessing their experience and enthusiasm, you will be happy to wear many hats and be comfortable taking the lead on multiple projects with responsibility from initial briefing and inception right through to delivery. You will play a key role in connecting the team and the Catapult to industry networks, investors, as well as relevant academic and public sector circles. You will have a bridge builder mentality to build productive relationships across the whole of Future Cities Catapult and in wider project teams. With a large variety of projects in the pipeline, you will be comfortable working on a wide range of tasks and projects, and in matching the right people to the right projects. You will be a person who values interaction and prefers to work closely with both our internal peers and our external partners and clients, discussing possible approaches and solutions.
Fast urbanisation is one of the most important trends changing our world over the coming decades. You will be interested in helping cities to understand their challenges and identify opportunities to make our cities more sustainable and great places to live and work. You will play a key role in developing our understanding and thought leadership in the demand and supply side of the smart city market. Working with UK SME’s to identify smart city markets in the UK and internationally and in tandem will provide cities with the tools and insights to become more informed clients in the smart city market.
Knowledge and interest in new technologies is hugely desirable and more importantly how to combine technology with city needs in order to make better services and products for people is key. Acting as an advocate for market-making internally and externally as critical to FCC’s mission, including:
- Steer project pipeline towards market-making opportunities;
- Create and deliver projects that leverage the team and wider resources to make markets;
- Provide thought leadership on urban futures and how the UK maket can play a key role in the wider global market.
- Between our relationship development and management functions;
- Between the urban futures team and the SME programme team.
What will you be doing?An approximate breakdown of the time requirements of this role in an average week:
- Leading on projects - 60%
- Line management - 20%
- Supporting the team on project delivery - 20%
What will be the first year outcomes?We like to judge success against outcomes. We would expect you to achieve the following headline outcomes during the first 1 – 12 months:
- Achieve an overview of the team’s current projects and challenges within them.
- Carry out a team meeting and 1:1 meeting with each member of the urban futures team, lab heads and team leads across the organisation.
- Taken responsibility for up to 3 projects.
- Develop a good working relationship across Future Cities Catapult.
- Deliver the team plan.
- Plan the resourcing of the team and manage any recruitment.
- Lead the team in the creation of a team portfolio/library of deliverables, knowledge, networks, products, tools, etc.
- Ensure the team has delivered in accordance with our five-year strategy, and annual plan.
- Turn the 1-year plan into reality, so that our capabilities, and impact in the future cities market is developed and delivered.
- Progress the professional development of each team member.
What kind of person are we looking for?
- BA, MA, in an urban environment based discipline, like planning, architecture, urban design, engineering, or a related discipline.
- Proven leadership skills, running both teams and projects, including excellence in team-building and people skills, with a light touch management style. You will be open and fair minded, personable and approachable with strong communication skills.
- Experience in projects centered on people, places, technologies and urban challenges.
- Strong business and commercial acumen with experience in a senior/lead position.
- Significant demonstrable experience with a background in a mix of the following: commercial, public sector, academic and innovation environment.
- Experience in leading multi-disciplinary teams with experience of mentoring, inspiring, leading and providing guidance to team members.
- Experience of client side delivery, with demonstrable implementation and impact.
- Capability to clearly articulate concepts to other team members, Future Cities Catapult colleagues from other departments and external partners.
- Ability to meet overlapping deadlines in a fast-paced working environment without substituting quality or accuracy.
- Ability to collaborate & build relationships genuinely with partners and stakeholders. Solid experience in client relationships, innovating investment markets, local government, future cities market, and with policy makers.
- Negotiation capabilities and ability to resolve complex issues.
- Experience in urban development, integrated planning, public service provision and emerging innovations.
- Familiarity with high growth start-ups, particularly in the technology sector.
Want to apply?Please submit your CV and Cover letter through our apply button
First round interviews are planned to take place on Wednesday 17th May, with final face to face interviews taking place on Monday 22nd May.
Download the job description here.