- £18,000 annual salary (pro-rata for the duration of the internship)
- Central London
- Full time
- 25 day’s annual leave (pro-rata 8 days)
So what's it about?
We are looking for a well-rounded developer with top-notch web development with Unity programming skills. Someone who is interested in IoT and creating prototypes to address city challenges and data management. You will be involved in identifying and defining insights,
and are comfortable working fast and making things tangible in an innovation environment, prototyping quickly for feedback and iteration.
What will you be doing?Main Responsibilities
You will be designing and developing a system that explores and demonstrates the value of real time building information management. Working with a UX designer you will be using real time sensor data and building systems data to create an application that can be used by building management and building users to understand their environment better. You will be using front-end, server side web and augmented/virtual reality technologies. Using the Urban Innovation Centre as a test bed you will be able to access our existing network of sensors and deploy additional devices as required. You will have access to our maker space, hardware prototyping and AR technologies.
You will be exploring the potential uses for BIM (Building Information Modelling) in creating a building operating system that could potentially be scaled to coordinated management of larger areas of a city. This will involve you:
- Identify potential users and their needs.
- Setting up sensor networks
- Getting data from an existing building management system and sensor network
- building a working application
- Documenting your progress
- The expected outputs could be in the form of a web application, AR platform or physical interfaces and visualisations
The main goal of your internship is to create an interactive interface displaying building data that demonstrates the value of a real time building management system to different users. This should be a usable prototype, using real data, that can be displayed at the Urban Innovation Centre.
What will be the first year outcomes?The main goal of your internship is to create an interactive interface displaying building data that demonstrates the value of a real time building management system to different users. This should be a usable prototype, using real data, that can be displayed at the Urban Innovation Centre.
- A solid understanding of how web applications work including security, session management, and best development practices
- Good knowledge of a database systems, Object Oriented Programming, web and Unity application development
- Server side JS using Node.js and application frameworks e.g. Express
- Experience defining, creating and consuming APIs
- Experience provisioning and configuring server instances to host projects (Amazon EC2/RDS)
- Git code versioning
- Experience developing AR/VR applications
- Aggressive problem diagnosis and creative problem solving skills
- Ability to architect non-trivial web applications and interactive prototypes
- Understanding of current urban challenges around urban planning, healthy cities or mobility
- Experience of idea generation and user research
- 3D modelling
Want to apply?Want to apply?
Send your CV with covering letter via our application portal. In your cover letter tell us why you’re right for the job.