- £18,000 annual salary (pro-rata for the duration of the internship)
- 3 Months
- Central London
- Full time
- 25 day’s annual leave (pro-rata 8 days)
So what's it about?The essence of this internship is to support a team of relationship developers to gather market intelligence, input into a range of business development plans, and help source and shape commercial and collaborative R&D project opportunities with key stakeholders.
The role requires creativity, enthusiasm and a proven interest in working with a wide range of people and organisations from across the UK, such as universities, established and fast growing firms from multiple sectors, city governments and public agencies with distinctive and diverse cultures.
What will you be doing?Supporting market intelligence gathering and internal knowledge sharing
- Work with the Relationship Development and Digital Strategy and Economy Teams to improve the Catapult’s market intelligence
- Create, maintain and disseminate updates from a database of major smart city or future city projects
- Create and maintain a contact list of key stakeholders, with city-level intelligence
- Maintain a library of literature and reports on our themes, and disseminate important messages emerging from specialist literature
- Interviewing new and emerging architectural, engineering and construction companies to link their needs with the Catapult’s value packages
Refreshing and revising the academic and city engagement strategies
- Scanning the urban innovation landscape within UK cities and universities
- Capturing new understanding and insights into the role of SMEs and other non-university academic institutions within the UK
- Responding to and leading on ad hoc research requests relating to key challenges in urban innovation.
- Developing a database of all research institutions and academics in urban innovation, with associated intelligence
- Working with the Academic Relationship Developer and UK Cities Relationship Developer to refresh & revise existing intelligence and collect qualitative and quantitative data from key UK academic institutions
Supporting UK business development
- Working with Account Managers, Relationship Developers and the Communications and Marketing Teams on stakeholder engagement activities, and a range of events
- Providing research support project bids, concept notes and proposals
- Supporting the Bid and Sales Coordinator in managing the pipeline of new business opportunities
What will be the first year outcomes?Don't just take it from us, why not read about Bin's story and hear about his experience here.
What kind of person are we looking for?
- A strong academic track record in a discipline related to urban studies, innovation and technology in cities, or the Catapult’s core themes; integrated urban planning, healthy cities and/or urban mobility.
- Experience or demonstrable interest in the ‘smart city’/urban innovation market, cities, local government or devolution.
- Awareness and understanding of the challenges facing UK cities and the role that innovation and technology can play in making cities healthier, safer and happier places to live, work and travel in.
- Numerate and comfortable working with, analyzing and communicating data and complex information to diverse audiences.
- Proven ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and a focus on results and impact teams.
- Outgoing, motivated, proactive, confident and outstanding interpersonal and networking skills.
- Drive, purpose, integrity and the ability cut through complexity, not be a cause of it.
- A relentless focus on success in delivering for cities.
- Competent using the suite of Microsoft Office packages, as well as Mac applications such as Keynote
- Experience working in a UK city authority/London Borough, innovation environment, and/or a start up company.
- Experience conducting market research and communicating qualitative and quantitative data to diverse range of audiences
Want to apply?Send your CV with covering letter via our application portal. In your cover letter tell us why you’re right for the job.
In need of a little more information? Take a look at the JD here.
Or why not have a read through our testimonial from Bin, who was on our internship programme last summer and is now an employee here at the Catapult. You can read about Bin's story here.