- £18,000 annual salary (pro-rata for the duration of the internship)
- Central London
- 3 Months
- Full time
- 25 day’s annual leave (pro-rata 8 days)
So what's it about?The essence of this internship is to support a team of relationship developers to gather market intelligence, input into a range of business development plans, and help source and shape commercial and collaborative R&D project opportunities with key stakeholders.
The role requires creativity, enthusiasm and a proven interest in working with a wide range of people and organisations from around the world, such as universities, established and fast growing firms from multiple sectors, city governments and public agencies with distinctive and diverse cultures.
What will you be doing?
- Supporting global market intelligence gathering and internal knowledge sharing
- Work with the Relationship Development and Digital Strategy and Economy Teams to improve the Catapult’s global market intelligence
- Create, maintain and disseminate updates from a database of major smart city or future city projects around the world
- Create and maintain a contact list of key stakeholders, with city-level intelligence
- Create a library of city strategies from all target/major cities with analysis of their major themes and implications for market demand
- Maintain a library of literature and reports on our themes, and disseminate important messages emerging from specialist literature
- Develop a database of all research institutions and academics in urban innovation, with associated intel
- Devising methodology for global city engagement plan and conducting desktop research on global cities
- Refreshing & revising existing city-level intelligence and collecting qualitative and quantitative date from global cities
- Working with the UK and International Relationship Developers to shape a first draft of a global city engagement plan
- Refresh and revive existing country plans for China, India, Brazil, Malaysia and the Gulf, including new market intelligence, sources of finding and stakeholder intelligence.
- Working with Account Managers, International Relationship Developers and the Communications and Marketing Teams on stakeholder engagement activities, and a range of events
- Providing research support to international project bids, concept notes and proposals
- Updating cross-Catapult forward plan for international travel
The Relationship Development Intern (International) will report to an International Relationship Developer and will have the following responsibilities:
- Supporting specific market intelligence projects, such as the global review of smart cities, as well as other international intelligence activities;
- Ensuring new intelligence, insights and stakeholder information is fed into the Catapult’s various international business development plans
- Providing research and intelligence to new bids, concept notes and project proposals for international opportunities, with a strong focus on impact, in order to generate value for the Catapult and the market;
- Providing administrative support to the front-end process of shaping and qualifying new opportunities and forming productive partnerships, and the relationship development team’s sales funnel;
- Working with the Marketing, Comms and Events Teams to inform our external positioning for engaging our priority international markets and key stakeholders;
- The role will be London-based and will not require international travel.
What will be the first year outcomes?The successful candidate will gain exposure to Global Market Intelligence which will include the opportunity to build relationships with Key Stakeholders for our ever growing list of International Projects.
What kind of person are we looking for?Essential requirements:
- A strong academic track record in a discipline related to urban studies, innovation and technology in cities, international business, or the Catapult’s core themes; integrated urban planning, healthy cities and/or urban mobility.
- Experience or demonstrable interest in international business in the ‘smart city’/urban innovation market, donors such as the UK government and/or international trusts/foundations;
- Awareness and understanding of the challenges facing global cities and the role that innovation and technology can play in making cities healthier, safer and happier places to live, work and travel in.
- Numerate and comfortable working with, analyzing and communicating data and complex information to diverse audiences.
- Proven ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and a focus on results and impact teams.
- Outgoing, motivated, proactive, confident and outstanding interpersonal and networking skills.
- Drive, purpose, integrity and the ability cut through complexity, not be a cause of it.
- A relentless focus on success in delivering for cities.
- Competent using the suite of Microsoft Office packages, as well as Mac applications such as Keynote
- Experience of operating with/in one of our priority countries – Brazil, China, India, Malaysia, the Gulf – is an advantage;
- Language skills (Mandarin or Portuguese) would be an advantage;
Want to apply?Send your CV with covering letter via our application portal. In your cover letter tell us why you’re right for the job.
In need of a little more information? Take a look at the JD here.
Or why not have a read through our testimonial from Bin, who was on our internship programme last summer and is now an employee here at the Catapult. You can read about Bin's story here.